DBBO – Designing & Building Business Ontologies

Register for DBBO Spring 2017
Spring 2017 Sessions
March 27th - 30th, 2017




A “Business Ontology” defines a common set of unambiguous concepts, that are central to your business. Getting everyone on the same page improves search and facilitates harmonization of data repositories. Complexity is greatly reduced, allowing for more flexible evolution of enterprise systems.

Designing and Building Business Ontologies will help give you the edge you need to transform your information systems.

Does this sound like you?

This course is far more than learning the syntax of the Semantic Web or how to use tools to implement semantic based systems (although it certainly does cover both of those). This course is about learning how to think and design in semantics.

We have been continually evolving this course over the ten years we have been teaching it. We are always adding new technologies and new techniques to the course. Over the course of time we’ve learned how students learn this new material and have continued to adopt the course materials.

In this latest incarnation we return to the four-day format (we had expanded the course to six days to cover all the additional material, but we have subsequently figured out how to compress most of the new material back into a 4 day format that seems to work better for most attendees).

Register Now
I have been modeling for 30 years and with this class, I have gained a deeper understanding of ontology and its practice. The course has also provided me with an excellent perspective of usage for business practice.

James Odell, James Odell Associates
There is no other place to get the big picture of using and developing ontologies. After years of detailed modeling, this course brought major concepts together. The instructors are masters! Kudos!

Bobbin Teegarden, OntoAge
Day 1

Semantic Technology: What is it? What is it good for?

The first day is lecture based and covers all the key concepts without getting bogged down in the details. This is appropriate for those who may not be using the technology on a day to day basis but who want to understand how it works and its potential. As such we are allowing each registered student to invite one colleague to the first day as a guest.

Day 2

Working with Triples: Hands on with Graph Databases, triple stores, and queries

This is hands on, where we learn by doing, what is a graph database, what is a URI, what is a triple, how do we represent knowledge in a triple store? We will cover RDF, SPARQL and the Linked Open Data Cloud.

Day 3

Semantic Meta Data: Classes, Restrictions and the Open World

We cover a lot of ground on this day, focusing on how classes are similar but different than they are in traditional technology. We cover how inference really works and what formal representation is all about. You will have an introduction to Description Logics, the underpinning of OWL. We cover the 20% of the OWL and RDFS spec that you will use on a day to day basis and point out the traps in the other 80% should you subsequently go there.

Day 4

Ontology Design and Semantic Architecture

On the last day we put it all together and cover pragmatic considerations of implementing this technology including such topics as: ontology modularization, use of upper ontologies, methodology for enterprise ontology development, semantic rules (what are they, when to use them), how to incorporate taxonomies into an ontology design, how to use RDFShapes for constraint management. We work through an example of extracting data from a relational database using R2RML. Finally, we will show how semantic technology will play a key part in the upcoming Data Centric Revolution.

Pricing

Register Now

The fee for the four-day course is $2495. Course book, coffee and snacks will be provided, as well as a pizza outing on the evening of the third day.

You will receive $300 off for Early Bird registration if you register before February 1st, 2016. However, if you register before December 25th, 2016, you will receive $600 off for Super Early Bird registration.

Group discount: for every 3 registrations from the same firm, a fourth one will be allowed at no charge.

Want to see DBBO happen somewhere else?









We also conduct this course in-house, and have done so for a dozen public and private organizations, please contact us if you would like to discuss doing an in-house training. Download a pricing sheet for in-house training.

Are you interested in an occasional email about semantics, enterprise ontology and enterprise information systems?
Sign up for the Semantic Arts newsletter.